The 9th Pan African Congress of Mathematicians Local Organizing Committee (PACOM 2017 LOC) in collaboration with the African Mathematical Union Commission on Mathematics Education and the “Ecole Normale Supérieure, Rabat” under the auspices of both the Ministry of Higher Education and Research and the Ministry of National Education, are jointly pleased to announce the PACOM 2017 Satellite Conference on Mathematics Education: “MathEdu” to be held in Rabat, Morocco on July, 4, 2017 with the item: “Mathematics Professional development in Africa”. This satellite conference is a part of the 9th Pan African Congress of Mathematicians (PACOM 2017) to be held in Rabat, Morocco from 3 to 7 July 2017.
The item of this Satellite conference has been motivated by the global theme of PACOM 2017: “Mathematics at the heart of technological innovation and economic development of Africa”.
Indeed, the whole world is going through a major historical transformation of a multidimensional nature: scientific and technological, economic, social, cultural, political and geopolitical. Innovations and new trends are necessary to face such big change and fulfill the high expectations of this new millennium. So, critical thinking skills, problem-solving and creativity remain the key factors to be a successful worker. The role of education is moving towards forging connections between knowledge development and its application to the workplace.
Of course that all the nations components should be involved: the policy makers at the governmental level, the NGO concerned by education etc… but the mathematics teacher remains an important inescapable person! For that reason, even in the developed countries, the Mathematics Teacher Professional Development has been in the forefront of Education reforms. What assessment could be set up today? How Africa could benefit from the rich experiences of some countries to develop an efficient Mathematics Professional Development?
EduMath-PACOM 2017 Local Organizing Committee:
Convener: Nouzha El Yacoubi
AMU Vice President, North Africa. Mohammed V University, Rabat
Ouahidi My mohammed
El Hassan Zerouali
Faculty of Sciences, University Mohammed V, Rabat.
A Representative of the Ministry of National Education of Morocco.
EduMath-PACOM 2017 Plenary Lecturers
- Prof. Ferdinando Arzarello, President, International Commission on Mathematics Instruction (ICMI), Italia
- Prof. Samir Belfkih, President Commission on Education of the High Council of Education, Training and Scientific Research, Morocco.
- Prof. Hee-Chan Lew, President Korea University of Education, South Korea
- Prof. Youssef Ouknine, President, Moroccan Mathematics Agregation Jury, Cadi Ayyad University, Morocco.
EduMath- PACOM 2017 Moderators:
- Prof. Saliou Touré, Président , Université Internationale du Grand bassam, Côte d’Ivoire (Panel 2)
- Prof. Mamokgethi Phakeng Vice Principal of Research and Innovation at UNISA, South Africa (Panel 3)
- Prof. Mohammed Talbi, Dean Faculty of Sciences Ben M’Sik, Casablanca, Morocco (Panel 1).
EduMath –PACOM 2017 Panelists (10mn each):
Panel 1 Mathematics teachers initial training: (Total duration 1h00):
- Prof. Bechir Kechouch Chairman AMU Commission on Mathematics Education, or Prof. Taoufik Cherrada, President ATSM ( Association Tunisienne des Sciences Mathématiques) A Tunisia.
- Prof Mamadou Sangharé , Director , Higher Education, Senegal
- Prof. Choshi D. Kasanda, Namibia.
Panel 2: Mathematics Teachers Continuous Professional Development. (Total duration 1h00):
- Director Youssef El Azhari, Ministry of Education , Morocco.
- Prof. Weizhu Bao, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Prof. Teresa Bixirão Neto, University of Aveiro, Portugal.
- Prof. Jill Adler, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa.
- Prof. Ya-xiang Yuan, President Chinese Mathematical Society, China.
Panel 3: MTPD and Open Distance Leaning (Total duration 1h00):
- Prof. Hassane Darhmaoui, Al Akhawayn University, Morocco.
- Prof. Mahmoud Abdel-Aty, Vice President African academy of Sciences, Head mathematics Department Zewal City of Sciences and Technology, Egypt.
- Prof. Mohamed El Tom, AMU council member, Sudan.
Preregistration at the 2017 EduMath Satellite Conference, is open on the PACOM 2017 website www.fsr.ac.ma/PACOM2017 .
EduMath-PACOM 2017 registration (only):
registration will be 50€. Registration fees include conference package, coffee break and lunch.
PACOM 2017 registration:
Regular registration fees until April 30, 2017, will be 200€ from May 1, 2017 it will raise to 250€. Registration fees include all satellite conferences (in particular EduMath-PACOM 2017), conference package, coffee break; Gala dinner and lunch during the period of the congress. There will be a reduced fee for students, and a special rate for accompanying persons.
FOR PARTICIPANTS ATTENDING ONLY EDUMATH-PACOM 2017:
Accommodation could be provided at the CRMEF (Centre Régional Métiers Education et Formation) Residency, near the Satellite conference venue namely ENS Rabat .
FOR PARTICIPANTS ATTENDING PACOM 2017
Several hotels and student residences are available near the Sciences Faculty of Rabat. The standard 3* hotel costs 60 € Euros in a single room. For a 4* hotel it is around 90 € while a 5* hotel is about 150€. Special prices can be obtained for PACOM 2017.
More Details will be posted and regularly updated at the PACOM 2017 website
PACOM 2017 Important dates:
- March 31, 2016: Pre-registration and submission of extended abstracts (2-3 pages).
- September 30, 2016: Beginning of the registration for PACOM 2017
- October 31, 2016: Announcement of the grant program
- November 30, 2016: deadline for signification of interest to attend the Edu Math Satellite Conference
- December 31, 2016: application deadline for grant
- February 28, 2017: Decision for grants
- March 31, 2017: Announcement of the Scientific Program of the PACOM 2017
- April 01, 2017: Raise of the PACOM 2017 registration fees
- July 02, 2017: Arrival day for congress participants
- July 3, 2017: Opening of the PACOM 2017, beginning of the scientific program
- July 4, 2017, EduMath Conference Satellite
- July 07, 2017: End of the scientific program